Friday, January 22, 2010

Water Main Break

I got an e-mail from WifeRat about 4pm telling me the water was out at home. Thankfully the problem wasn't in our place or building, but there is a water main break one block over from us. When I called home to check in there were already repair folks on the scene and I could hear heavy machinery and children in the background.

When I got home, I took BabyRat out to see what all the hub-bub was about. I grabbed the new camera I gave WR for her birthday and took a few pictures.



Apparently the water main break on Florida Ave NE is related to what's going on on my block. A one man band reporter/cameraman chomped on a stogie while he explained that there was a problem with a 36-inch line on my block and that caused problem with 6, 8, and 12 water lines heading north towards Florida.

I don't know much else, but it's 1:44am, my water is back on with strong pressure, and they've got a massive hole dug at the corner of 11th & E Sts NE. Strange observation, WASA left tags on all the doors in the neighborhood advising us of a problem but when BR and I went out to take a look WASA was no where to be found, it was all Flippo trucks and DCFD.

UPDATE:

Pictures of the hole at the corner of 11th & E Sts NE







2 comments:

IK said...

Yay! Hill Rat is back!!

monkeyrotica said...

Water problems always get me antsy. If it wasn't freezing pipes bursting at the old place, it's dishwashers failing the drain cycle and flooding the basement at the new place. Then there's the ground-level windows leaking like a sieve when the drains get choked. This is what happens when you're a water sign. Did I mention I can't swim?