Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Community Meeting at Ludlow-Taylor

Whoa! I don't quite know where to begin.

About a week ago I was walking home from the park with BabyRat and saw a sign on a light post about this meeting at Ludlow-Taylor tonight. I was interested and excited because my last foray into finding a school for BabyRat didn't go so well.

All three of us (me, wife, and baby) went to the meeting and before we entered the school I noticed the sign outside said "PTA Meeting 5-8". When we got inside (a few minutes late) we were surprised to see DCPS Chancellor Michelle Rhee speaking before a crowd of 100-150 people. We arrived shortly before the question and answer period started, the floor was opened up, and the fireworks started.

Being a relatively new dad, I hadn't been to a DCPS Community meeting before but somehow I wasn't surprised that the quickly established theme of the meeting was gentrification and its discontents. Rhee did a good job of keeping things under wraps while she was answering questions and not getting too far off track, but after she left things took a turn for the worse.

I'm a little shot out after that meeting, I'll post a more thorough report later.

No comments: