Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dad Talk

I'm just gonna talk about being a Dad and how much I love my little girl. She's a laugh riot, tough as nails, and a kind, gentle, and caring soul.

One thing I've noticed since I became a Dad is that kid's TV is trippy as all hell. One morning when BabyRat was about a year old, I watched this show called Boobah with her; I thought my coffee was dosed with acid, the shit was just bizarre. The other thing that slays me about kid's shows is the random cameos. Whilst watching yet another whacked out kid's show the other day, Yo Gabba Gabba, who shows up on screen? Biz Markie, beatboxing about happy birthday.

Lest you think all I do is watch TV with my kid, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, we don't even have a TV out here in Fargo. Even when we're at home we actually keep the TV on pretty tight lockdown, it's not unusual for BabyRat to go several days running without seeing any TV at all during the week. The weekend is a slightly different story and the Wife and I will often allow the Doodler (one of several nicknames I have for her) to suck on the glass tit for an hour so we can get some sleep.

The weather out here is getting cold in a hurry, which means that our trips to the park will be ending soon. Going to the park with BabyRat is one of the great pleasures of my life. When BabyRat and I are on our way to the park it gives us this incredible opportunity to talk to each other and for me to really get to know this little person who has added so much to my life.

I never cease to be amazed at how tough and resilient my child is. Just the other day BabyRat took off ahead of me and took a header over the handlebars of her skuut bike, as I ran over to make sure she was OK she popped up and said, "I'm OK, I'm an athlete!!" You should have seen the smile on my face when she said that. As tough and strong as my kid is, I just hope I can avoid the temptation to become some sort of insane Sports Dad.

BabyRat, you fill my bucket.

1 comment:

Knockout Ed said...

Seriously. I went to that Boobah website. Holy SMOKES! My brain is scrambled right now. I'm kinda high.